Head, Clinical Department of Surgery, Endocrinology Orthopedics and Rehabilitation. AOU “Federico II” from November 1, 2020.
Head, bariatric, endocrine and metabolic surgery unit. AOU “Federico II” from February 1, 2020.
Italian Professorship title as Full Professor of Surgery (ASN) from 12-01-14. SSD 06/C1 MED 18 General Surgery Area
Full Professor of Surgery. Naples “Federico II” University from November 1, 2019.
Director “Laparoscopic gastric and bariatric surgery” unit, General Surgery Department, Naples Federico II University, from 6-1-13
Associate Professor in General Surgery from 3-1-05 up to 10-31-2019, MED 18, General and Emergency Surgery Chair, Advanced Biomedical Sciences Department – Surgical Sciences, Orthopaedics, Trauma and Emergency Department, Naples Federico II University
Assistant Professor in General Surgery from 12-2-01 MED18 up to 3-2-2005, General and Emergency Surgery Chair, Surgical Sciences, Orthopaedics, Trauma and Emergency Department, Naples Federico II University
Senior Clinical Assistant from 12-2-01 General and Emergency Surgery Chair, Surgical Sciences, Orthopaedics, Trauma and Emergency Department, Naples Federico II University.
Clinical Assistant from 5-2-1999 up to 12-2-01, General and Emergency Surgery Chair, Surgical Sciences, Orthopaedics, Trauma and Emergency Department, Naples Federico II University
Clinical Assistant from 1-8-1993 up to 12-2-01, Reggio Calabria University, Catanzaro Medical School, Surgical Oncology Chair first, General and Emergency Surgery Chair, Surgical Sciences, Orthopaedics, Trauma and Emergency Department, Naples Federico II University, thereafter
From 9-5-1990 General Surgery assistant, Reggio Calabria University, Catanzaro Medical School, Surgical Oncology Chair
- 2001-2007 Surgical traineeship Free University Amsterdam / RKZ Beverwijk
- 2008 Trained in Mol (Belgium) fellowship bariatric surgery
- 2009 Started as bariatric surgeon in Leeuwarden (Netherlands)
- 2011 start experience with MGB-OAGB
- 2015 metabolic bariatric surgery Rotterdam (Netherlands)
- 2015 co-founder MGB-OAGB club (IFSO Vienna)
- 2015-2020 “fast track bariatric surgery & logistics” course leadership Rotterdam
- 2012-2017 board member Dutch Society for Metabolic and Bariatric surgery
- 2020 board member Dutch Society for Gastro-intestinal Surgery
- Numerous publications in bariatric surgery: 3 papers on MGB-OAGB
- Numerous presentations national / international on MGB-OAGB
MS, DNB, MNAMS, PGDHHM, PGDMLS, NDDY, FRCS
- Consultant Bariatric & General Surgeon, Whittington Hospital, London
- Head of Department – General and Bariatric Surgery,
- Covid Research Lead,
- Chair – British Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS) Annual Scientific Meeting
- Council member & Patient Safety Committee – BOMSS
- Council representative to ALSGBI
- MGB-OAGB International Club committee executive
- Editor – Obesity Surgery, IBC Newsletter, IJS, BMC Surgery, Journal of bariatric surgery
- >150 published peer reviewed articles including book chapters
- Associate Editor – Springer book ‘’Obesity, Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery: A comprehensive Guide’’. 2nd edition
Karl Peter Rheinwalt
Karl Rheinwalt is Head of Department of Obesity, Metabolic and Plastic Surgery at St. Franziskus Hospital Cologne, Germany. His unit represents one of only 5 certified Centers of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery in Germany. Dr. Rheinwalt has more than 30 years of experience in general, visceral, bariatric and trauma surgery. Since 2006, he focused his professional activities mainly on bariatric surgery. Following training in OAGB-MGB-technique by Prof. Chevallier in Paris 2009, this new procedure attracted his interest and during the following years he became one of the leading pioneers for OAGB-MGB both in his country and internationally. Since 10 years, Dr. Rheinwalt is organizing workshops concerning gastric bypass techniques as well as the “Fasttrack-concept in bariatric surgery”. Furthermore, the influence of metabolic surgery on NASH is focus of his scientific activities.
Dr. Rui Ribeiro completed is course In Medicine in Lisbon, Portugal, 1986.
He was a general surgery resident in the “Hospitais Civis de Lisboa” since 1990 to 1996. Fellow in those Hospitals up to 2002 when he applied and got the next career degree (graduated assistant). From 2008 up to 2017 August he was the Coordinator of the “Unidade de Tratamento Cirúrgico da Obesidade e Doença Endócrinas“ in the Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central, the new name to the old “Hospitais Civis de Lisboa”, the main one in the city.
In September 2017 he moved to a private hospital ar unit, Clínica de Santo António – Lusíadas, in Lisbon, where he is a senior assistant and the Coordinator of the metabolic Unit, “Centro Multidisciplinar da Doença Metabólica”.
Since 2005 he is also the Medical director of the Lasercenter, prestação de serviços médicos Lda, a medical company leader in obesity treatment and aesthetic care.
Chairman Israeli Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Director, Bariatric Center, Emek Medical Center